Little did the musicians know, but when their fingertips generated sound by touching those glass rims for the first time, it was what would turn out to be the beginning of a long and earnest adventure. These two musicians, players of the traditional instruments the violin and the trumpet, could not have suspected the path that lay before them. They began to master the glass harp, amazed by its technical and expressional possibilities.
The biggest glass harp in the world,
its range covers nearly 5 octaves.
The phenomenal sound of the glass cups caught these musicians' imagination so much that they quit the Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra in Gdansk. Their passion and unremitting work resulted in the growing popularity of their concert performances. Today they have an extraordinarily wide repertoire and their very own loyal fan base.
They perform both solo concerts and concerts with additional musicians. They've performed with string quartets, various chamber ensembles, even symphony orchestras, including The Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra and Sinfonia Varsovia. They have had several world premieres of musical works composed especially for them. They have also made numerous recordings for radio, tv and theatre productions. The GlassDuo performed at many local and international festivals, e.g.
- Singapore Festival of Arts - Singapore
- altstadtherbst kulturfestival duesseldorf - Germany
- Internationaal Festival van Vlaanderen Gent - Belgium
- International Music Festival, Mood Indigo - Mumbai, India
- International Mozart Festival "Mozartiana" - Gdansk, Poland
- International Festival "Round About Chopin" - Vienna, Austria
- Klaipeda Music Spring - Lithuania
- Polish Harmonies Chopin & Beyond - Austin, USA
- festival di Santo Stefano - Bologna, Italy
- La Folle Journee - Warsaw, Poland
- International Easter Music Festival "RESUREXIT" - Siauliai, Lithuania
- Automne Musical de Marchienne" - Belgium
- Warsaw Autumn - Poland
- International Bach Festival "Bakhosluzheniye" - Kaliningrad, Russia
- Christopher Summer Festival - Vilnius, Lithuania
- Royal Concerts Chamber Ensemble Festival - Warsaw, Poland
- Days of Karol Szymanovsky's Music - Zakopane, Poland
- International Festival "Percussion Solo and in a Band" - Poland
- International Classical Music Festival of Mažeikiai - Lithuania
- International Chopin Festival in Duszniki - Poland
see the posters
The GlassDuo was founded by Anna and Arkadiusz Szafraniec. They are the only glass music group in Poland, one of few professional ensembles worldwide. They have brought their glass music to the stages of many renowned concert halls. By rejecting stereotypes they have enriched the music world with sounds which are subtle, sophisticated and truly unique.